Sunday, September 29, 2013

29 September 2013: Coastal Cleanup

Today, we did coastal clean-up. We mostly picked up cigarette buds. At the beginning my group kept picking up wood.  Jayson’s group found a dead lizard and a dead frog. The frog was bloated and was about to burst and the intestines were about to flow out.  Everyone except Dad, Ryan Jr.’s Dad, Jayson and Jeremiah said “Ew!”. My group found a lot of trash, including a lighter, found by me.  Celestine even said their back car wheel had a diaper next to it.  I also found a pizza-box holder.  Janelle brought her dog, Caramel. 

Before the walk to where we were supposed to start picking trash, I gave Celestine a pack of Mix, clip, ‘n’ Zip bracelets.  Once, when we were walking to where we were supposed to start, Celestine dropped the bracelets I gave her.  Javier saw the pack that dropped from Celestine’s bag.  Seeing that it was a new type of trash, Javier picked it up.  Everyone, except Celestine and me thought it was trash.  Wasn’t it lucky Javier picked it up?  

Javier and James kept complaining about when we could start picking up trash.  Afterwards, we went mad about trash.  Celestine found a watermelon skin and two chicken bones.  We had a lot of fun picking up trash.  Later, we sat down to eat our snacks.  We had to take off our gloves so I threw mine away.  I had Mame monster noodles, Celestine had chocolate cookies, Javier and James had bananas.  Celestine said I always have the best snacks.  Later on, we met the Scorpions.  There was a big hill-ish rock thing (the breakwater) that everyone except me climbed up.  

On the way back Auntie El was talking with me.  Isaac said that his group found a rusty oil tank full of sea water and a red plush toy snake.  My group also found ceramic tiles.  Jayson and Jeremiah found two Nerf gun bullets.  One of them was a black velcro bullet and the other was a purple suction bullet. We collected 10 bags in total, but only 5 made it back to the start point. All in all, 38 kg of rubbish collected from the beach, consisting of about 620 cigarette butts, lots and lots of bottles and cans, and well, one or two dead animals.


- Leanne Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment